Adopting a Golden
We strive to place Golden Retrievers we rescue in their “forever homes.” They have been through at least one prior home. We want their next permanent home to be that “forever home” and our success rate proves that our adoption process works. This process consists of four steps.
- Completing and submitting an adoption application with a $20 processing fee.
- A GoldHeart volunteer contacting your references and your veterinarian.
- A GoldHeart volunteer and one of their Golden Retrievers visiting your home to conduct an interview of the family and to determine if the home is a good match for the age and activity level requested in the adoption application.
- Once you have been approved, watching our website to identify an available dog that will fit into your home and lifestyle. The website also lists our monthly “Meet our Dogs Days” at a local pet store where you can come and meet the dogs and get a better feel for their personalities.
We ask that you be patient. This approval process typically takes three to four weeks from the time you submit your application. We are all volunteers with jobs and families and we dedicate as much time as we can to our rescue activities. We do guarantee that one of our Goldens is well worth the wait.
The donation to adopt a dog from GoldHeart is:
- $400 – under 1 year of age
- $300 – 1 to 4 years
- $250 – 5 to 7 years
- $200 – 8 to 10 years
- $100 – over 10 years
During calendar year 2013, GoldHeart spent an average of around $800 for each Golden welcomed into rescue, regardless of age or adoption donation.
All dogs are spayed or neutered, are up-to-date on vaccinations and on heartworm medication.