Adopting a Golden
Over 900 Dogs Rescued and Counting!
During calendar year 2014, GoldHeart (GH) spent $800 on average for each Golden welcomed into rescue, regardless of age or adoption donation.
The fee to adopt a dog from GH follows below. All GH dogs are spayed or neutered, up-to-date on vaccinations, micro-chipped, and on heartworm and flea preventative medications.
- $500 – under 12 months
- $400 – 1 to 4 years
- $350 – 5 to 7 years
- $300 – 8 to 10 years
- $150 – over 10 years
Note: Refundable deposits of $50 if not yet micro chipped, and $150 for training, may be required during the adoption process.
GoldHeart (GH) Adoption Process
GoldHeart routinely operates in parts of Maryland, south-central Pennsylvania, and Delaware. Please visit GH Service Area for a complete listing of the counties we serve. If you live outside our area, you may find a Golden Retriever rescue through the National Rescue Committee.
As discussed in the video, GH strives to place all dogs we rescue in their forever homes. Since they have been through at least one prior home, we want their next permanent home to be their forever home and our success rate proves that our adoption process works. This process consists of six steps.
- Application – Complete and submit an Adoption Application with a $30 processing fee (see link above under More Information).
- Reference Checks – GH volunteers contact your veterinarian and personal references.
- Home Visit – A GH volunteer and one of their dogs will visit your home to conduct an interview of the family and determine if the home is a good match for the age and activity level requested in the adoption application. The GH volunteer then submits a home visit report to GH’s Adoption Application Coordinator.
- Approval – The GH Adoption Application Coordinator determines whether to approve the applicant, and then sends written notification of GH’s decision to the applicant, along with details covering applicable next steps.
- Finding a Golden – If approved, watch the website to identify an Available Dog that will fit into your home and lifestyle. When a dog is ready for adoption, you will see a complete bio along with foster home contact information posted. You may then contact the foster family to express your interest.
- Adopting a Golden – If you are selected, before you take your dog home, together with the GH foster home volunteer, you will complete adoption paperwork, and pay the donation fee and any refundable fees (e.g., for training). Our job does not end when the paperwork is done. Your dog’s foster parents and other GoldHeart representatives will continue to be available to you. We want to help you make the transition of your new fur kid as seamless as possible.
Note: Please check your Spam/Junk email folder for communications from GoldHeart if you haven’t heard from us within 3 weeks of submitting your application. We have no control over your Internet provider and how they block/filter incoming email.
Approved homes may also be interested in learning about our Foster-to-Adopt program.